Jump down to our video to follow along with Simply Grazin’ owner, Mark Faille, and his girlfriend, Debbie Shapiro as they walk us through this delicious vegetarian sausage recipe.
We know, we know, we sell meat! Hear us out… we are embracing our differences, while Mark and Debbie enjoy cooking as a couple and sharing their new recipes with us all.
We hope you enjoy and laugh along with us (if not, get more wine) in the kitchen.
Simply 'Not Meat' Italian Sausage
- 1 food processor
- 8 ounces shitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces maitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- 1/3 cup cauliflower boiled until tender/chopped
- 1 cup brown lentils soaked and boiled until tender
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup cashews (unsalted) soaked in water
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- Preparing mushrooms in food processor until chopped fine.Sauté mushrooms in truffle oil. Finely chop cashews, lentils in food processor.Boil and chop cauliflower.Sauté 1/2 finely chopped red pepper in olive oil.Combine all above ingredients.
- Then add:2 Tablespoons of condensed milk1/2 tsp brown sugar1 tsp onion powder1 tsp garlic powder1 tsp paprika1 tablespoon fennel seed1 tsp red pepper flakes1 tsp parsley 1/8 tsp oregano salt & pepper to taste 1/2 cup of chickpea flourCombine all above ingredients , slowly add additional chickpea flour as the consistency should not be sticky.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal parts. Roll into sausage links. Brown links in olive oil.